EMR Implementation Tips:
- Understand your audience
- Use effective internal communication channels
- Build the case for the EMR implementation
- Plan and schedule communications to coincide with key stages of the EMR Implementation
Case studies of EMR implementations frequently cite effective communication as a key factor for success. Here are some tips for effective user communication during an EMR implementation:
Understand Your Audience
Segment your audience
- Identify WIIFM (“What’s in it for me?”) for each target employee group. Then adapt internal communications based on the needs of each target group. Customize and target messages separately, so users are not flooded with irrelevant information.
The SnapComms messaging system allows you to customize and target messages for different user groups. It even allows you to target users who do not have email access.
Use Effective Internal Communication Channels
Consider all communication channels
- not just the obvious ones like mass email. For example:
- use visual communication tools such as infographics and interactive screensaver messages to capture user attention, spark their interest, and convey key concepts.
Desktop messaging - for timely reminders of key deadlines. Recurrence options, based on individual readership can ensure for high message cut-through.
- raise awareness of EMR implementations.
– gather feedback and suggestions from users during and after an EMR implementation
Internal newsletters – profile the EMR deployment status and highlight good news stories.
Build the Case for the EMR Implementation
Communicate the benefits
- Make sure benefits are clear and cannot be argued, and frame them in the terms of the user. For example, “You can access accurate medical records from anywhere more easily.”
Inject fun and involve staff
- Ask users to name new systems and processes or suggest improvements. Offer prizes for the best ideas, and recognize those ideas using screensaver messages and articles in the internal newsletter
Plan and Schedule Communications to Coincide with Key Stages of an EMR Implementation
Plan your communications and start early in the project. Be sure to include messages that cover:
• The goals and value of the EMR implementation
• The functionality to be provided
• The relationship to existing business processes and systems
• Time frames for deployment
• Available support channels
Maximize attendance at training sessions
- Use a desktop RSVP invite tool that offers multiple options for available times and venues. A desktop alert RSVP will ensure that employees register for training and multiple options will help them fit training sessions around other commitments.
- keep staff informed of the latest EMR implementation updates
– Use desktop quizzes, e-learning and visual communications such as infographics and screensaver messages.