Internal Communicators face two challenges when attempting to reach call center employees:
Challenge 1: Information Overload
Prior to using the SnapComms tools, a call center measured the information being sent to call center reps to read... and discovered they were sending 92,000 words a month (1/3 email copy, 2/3 linked web pages/docs). This didn’t include one-on-one emails or emails from corporate – just the information sent in broadcast email by the Call Center division.
Aggregating these messages into short summaries in an internal newsletter helped them to reduce information overload for call center employees.
Call Center Communication Tool -Internal Newsletter tool
Challenge 2: Limited Access to Email
Call center employees do not always have access to email. This clearly presents a challenge for internal communicators. Non email communications channels can be paper based, time consuming and resource heavy. For example:
- Supervisors dropping photocopied information onto employee’s desks
- Team meetings for information updates (expensive non-call time)
SnapComms Case Study : Communicating in a call center without email.
Typical Call Center Employee Communication needs
Typical call centers have the following employee communication needs:
Fast message cut-through for urgent call center communications.
- Process changes
- System outage and update notifications
- Change communications
- Emergency communications
An effective channel for lower priority call center communications.
Desktop Scrolling headlines are an effective way to update call center employees without interrupting them. For example:
- Financial results and business performance updates
- Compliance communications (e.g. policy communication)
- Tips of the day
- Special staff promotions
- Event reminders
If employees are busy, message recurrence options ensure that messages are eventually read. The SnapComms call center communications system also provides full reporting of message cut through.
Raise awareness without interruption of call time.
It is important to communicate less urgent messages to call center employees in ways that do not interrupt them whilst they are on calls. Screensaver messaging can be an affective way to do this. Fot example to:
- Promote organizational values
- Deliver reminders
- Promote internal campaigns and events
- Promote rewards and recognition
- Promote social activities
Improve two-way call center communication.
A desktop Staff Survey provide the means to:
- Take quick temperature checks on specific issues
- Gather regular feedback from call center staff
- Involve employees by asking for their views and preferences
- Measure the effectiveness of internal events.
Customizable recurrence options allow staff to defer completing the survey or poll for a specified number of times.